I am currently reading "The Secret Lives of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd and there was one line that made me laugh out loud. The main character was talking to her housekeeper who said to this little girl that if her dad's brain were in a bird, the bird would fly backwards. I thought this was HILARIOUSLY funny and I also thought I could easily have someone say that about me some days.
Being a mom (of multiples no doubt), a wife and a teacher makes me feel depleted at times. Each title carries with it responsibilities that are unique to each part I play. I love being all of these but there are times when I am exhausted and just feel like putting a little sign in front of me that reads "Out to lunch. Be back soon....". It are these times I feel like I am having out of body experiences where I can see myself running around like crazy, making sure everyone has everything they need and know if I stop I will collapse from utter exhaustion. I'm sorry if I sound like I am whining and complaining about my life. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my life and after trying for so many years to have a family, I feel like we won the jackpot. We both have careers we love, our boys are simply amazing and we also have the world's greatest dog to boot. We are also lucky to have wonderful friends and family around us so in everyway we are truly blessed. BUT.....I am only human and there are days when I have had very little sleep, the boys are sick, my hubby is super busy and for some reason, Willy (our little Westie) will have thrown up 3 times in the house which I somehow must clean the second I come home from work while getting dinner ready and calming the troops who have just arrived home from school, exhausted and tired. These are the times where my brain shuts down and I just hope that I can pull it all off.
The good thing with being a mom, the good always out weighs the bad and the second you start feeling a little sorry for yourself, a little tiny face runs up to you and says "I am so happy mommy!". Your heart simply melts and I think to myself.." Yep. I can do another day."
And if my brain were in a bird? It may fly backwards but it would be smiling the whole time:)
Above are some pic's of the other boys in my family.
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment